Thursday, February 16, 2012

Seed starting

Woohoo! First gardening post of the new year!
I have decided I am going to add one thing to my gardening regimen each year,
and this year it's seed starting!
The nice thing about seed starting is that you just have to by the light and flats once, and then you can use them year after year!
The point of seed starting is to give you a jump start on having produce.  If you wait until the ground is warm enough to plant the seeds, 
You have to wait up to a month just for the seeds to become sprouts.
But, if you start the seeds before the weather is just right, you then have starts to plant, and you have saved yourself almost a month of time, meaning more produce, earlier.
I ordered the seed starter kit and light from Johnny's Selected Seeds,
who are quickly becoming my favorite supply store.
They even sent me strong starter soil to use.
I also order all my seeds from there, because they have an awesome selection of organic seeds.
I'm pretty excited about this.  
I think it's going to be a fun and interesting endeavor.
Also, Jamie has agreed to build this rain barrel this summer,
which I am ecstatic about!
I can't wait to start gardening.
It's so great.

No comments:

Post a Comment